Why I Love This Recipe
"My mom made lasagna a lot growing up but I wanted to create a healthier, meatless, but still tasty, version. With a surplus of zucchini in the garden and a lack of noodles in the kitchen, this version was born and quickly became a favorite. I love how adjustable it is based on what we have in the garden/house as well." This recipe was submitted by a Mira Vista School parent Kirsten Meder.
Ingredients You'll Need
1lb box lasagna noodles (optional)
3-4 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise into ¼ inch slices
2 jars marinara sauce
15 oz container ricotta cheese
8 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
8 oz white or baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. If using lasagna noodles, cook according to box instructions.
3. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
4. Add a little marinara sauce on the bottom. Layer lasagna noodles (if using) and zucchini across the entire bottom. Add a layer of sauce. Add a layer of ricotta cheese, sliced mushrooms, and a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella.
5. Add an additional layer of lasagna noodles (if using) and zucchini.
6. Repeat until the pan is full, layering noodles/zucchini slices, sauce, cheeses, and veggies.
7. The top layer should be lasagna noodles/zucchini slices. Top with a little sauce and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
8. Bake for ~30-45 minutes until the top is golden and crispy on the edges. If the top is browning too quickly, put a piece of aluminum foil on the top until the lasagna is heated through.
9. Let cool and enjoy.