Zuchinni Fritters recipe
Why I Love This Recipe
This recipe is adapted from Anya Bremzen's Russian cookbook, 'Please to the Table'. I love her recipes, but so many are much higher in fat than I like, and not just for 'health' reasons, but also I think addition of too much butter or oil or other fats can often drown out the natural flavors of other foods. So I try to reduce the amount of fats, play with the other ingredients, and thereby actually (or hopefully) enhance the flavor of the meal.
These fritters are really tasty, I have found that 'bake-frying' them not only significantly reduces the amount of oil used, but very importantly, makes the last part of cooking them a very easy process.
Ingredients You'll Need
3 zuchinni, peeled and grated
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. finely chopped onion
2-3 oz. Chevre cheese
1/2 tsp. dried dill
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
Pepper and salt
Sour cream, for serving.
1. In a colander, toss zucchini with 1 tsp. salt. Place in a large bowl so that zucchini can drain. Let stand for 30 min. Rinse thoroughly under cold running water. To remove excess water from zucchini, place on a sheet of cheesecloth, roll up the cloth and wring it out, then place zucchini on paper towels for extra drying.
2. Heat 2-3 tsp. oil over medium heat, add onion and saute, stirring often until softened, about 7 minutes. Transfer to bowl and cool for about 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, mix zucchini, cheese, onion, and dill. I find that since all ingredients are 'wet', it's often easiest to do this with your hands.
4. Beat the flour into the eggs, and add to the zucchini mixture. I do not always add the entire flour/egg mixture to the zucchini, it depends on the texture that you prefer the batter to turn out. Addition of more batter will lend the fritters more a pancake quality, whereas addition of less gives them more of a 'fritter-like' texture. This is something that can be played with. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and spray or brush with olive oill. Drop about 1.5 tablespoon of batter onto the foil, spacing about 1 inch apart. Pat lightly with spatula to flatten. Spray or brush tops of the patties with oil.
6. Bake for 15 min., remove from oven and flip over, and bake for 10 min. more so that patties are golden on both sides.
7. Serve warm with sour cream or yogurt.
Makes about 10 patties.